America Ferrera and Amber Tamblyn at the 'Bethany' Premiere 1/21/13
by Jim1234566
07/23/14 02:26 PM
Tina Majorino nice cleavage at The CW Launch Party 09/18/06
by Jim1234566
07/23/14 02:21 PM
Show More
Today's Birthdays
cathaly (27), Dennis_Vermeer (32), gros0420 (40), Ketaura (20), WildTurkey (27)
Who's Online
95 registered (brona55, aleksxc, buho, bixs, bvslayer2, agentxan, 7453297, boones, blast2142, alexgut007, artificial, atomicfrog, caligula304, Bryan72, BOHICA, BasedScal, BrianW, Bucmiester, 26 invisible), 1052 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
h77777, H3ROink, aizenjay, alperalt78, karatekidrob
199237 Registered Users
Page 13 of 16 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#3736219 - 03/29/12 01:09 AM Re: Former Oxford academic says doctors should have the right to kill unwanted or disabled babies [Re: dblboggie]
foobar456
Unregistered

No religion REQUIRES tithe. They scare the bejeezus out of people, and combine that with shame to coerce the money out of them.

Now, as for miner's posts. I never said the word profit. And quality of care has no bearing on the argument at hand. They provide a service, for which they are compensated, which makes them subject to the same laws as any other business.

#3736840 - 03/29/12 12:59 PM Re: Former Oxford academic says doctors should have the right to kill unwanted or disabled babies [Re: ]
1oldminer Offline
Permanent Resident

Loc: Stopping the Juubi's revival
Quote:
No religion REQUIRES tithe. They scare the bejeezus out of people, and combine that with shame to coerce the money out of them.

You are getting info from less reliable sources Foob...

No one is required to pay tithes or donations..that is between the individual and the Lord. People who pay tithes or give donations of thier own free will.The Church does not bully anyone into paying tithes.I myself pay tithes to my ward as it is a commandment of God I do it willingly not because I will "go to hell" if I don't but because the Lord promises great blessings to those who willingly pay tithing and believe it or not I personally experienced and seen such blessings because of my own faithfulness and the faitfulness of others who did so...even when it was finiacially difficult at times...

Quote:

Now, as for miner's posts. I never said the word profit. And quality of care has no bearing on the argument at hand. They provide a service, for which they are compensated, which makes them subject to the same laws as any other business.

Church run hospitals have operating costs such as maintaining medical equipment, electrical/plumbling and other building maintinence...also there is hospital/nursing staff salaries..yeah foob these people have to eat and live somewhere and that requires money to pay these employees..So how else you would you expect a church run hospital to keep running and maintaining quality care without generous donations and tithings?

The reality is that it requires money to provide a temporal service such as running a hospital.

#3736853 - 03/29/12 01:17 PM Re: Former Oxford academic says doctors should have the right to kill unwanted or disabled babies [Re: 1oldminer]
lu61f3r Offline
Veteran

Loc: milky way, local galaxy group,...
Originally Posted By: lu61f3r
Originally Posted By: 1oldminer
So long as such type of comments made by a liberal then it is justified right Lu?

I don't quite recall saying this.

by not saying about it speaks volumes.

No, it doesn't. However, if you mean, your opinion of me is not changed when nothing happens, or, in other words, in your head, silence from me evokes the same response as my saying particular things.....and?

There's always a way to justify pre-existing beliefs.

When Maher calls Palin a "slut" or a " bat shit crazy moron"

Where is your outrage?

In my head, perhaps.
An Eagle was soaring through the air when suddenly it heard the whizz of an Arrow, and felt itself wounded to death. Slowly it fluttered down to the earth, with its life-blood pouring out of it. Looking down upon the Arrow with which it had been pierced, it found that the shaft of the Arrow had been feathered with one of its own plumes. "Alas!" it cried, as it died,

We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

avy by Skorge

#3736880 - 03/29/12 01:38 PM Re: Former Oxford academic says doctors should have the right to kill unwanted or disabled babies [Re: dblboggie]
lu61f3r Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dblboggie
THEY ARE NOT BUSINESSES!!!

busi·ness /'biznis/
Noun:
1. A person's regular occupation, profession, or trade.
2. An activity that someone is engaged in.
Synonyms:
trade - affair - job - work - occupation - concern
An Eagle was soaring through the air when suddenly it heard the whizz of an Arrow, and felt itself wounded to death. Slowly it fluttered down to the earth, with its life-blood pouring out of it. Looking down upon the Arrow with which it had been pierced, it found that the shaft of the Arrow had been feathered with one of its own plumes. "Alas!" it cried, as it died,

avy by Skorge

#3736884 - 03/29/12 01:43 PM Re: Former Oxford academic says doctors should have the right to kill unwanted or disabled babies [Re: dblboggie]
lu61f3r Offline
Veteran

You can keep trying to conflate secular businesses with religious institutions, but only the ignorant wiil buy this fallacious argument. nana

If secular is defined as the opposite of religious, then the combining into one of these two would constitute, by definition, a contradiction.

However, you have merely asserted that this is the equivalent of what foobar is saying.

avy by Skorge

#3737058 - 03/29/12 06:32 PM Re: Former Oxford academic says doctors should have the right to kill unwanted or disabled babies [Re: ]
dblboggie Offline  

Urban Myth

Loc: Nowhere... I'm a Myth!
Originally Posted By: foobar456

Well I'm certainly no expert on the bible, but I seem to recall there being something is that book about the duty to tithe. That would strike me as a requirement, even if it isn't enforced, since all good Christians are exhorted to do what the "good book" says.

Guess what, houses of worship provide a service too! And they raise money from their parishioners in many varied ways as churches have to meet their overhead and payroll.

So your argument STILL falls flat. Religious institutions are NOT FOR PROFIT EXTENSIONS OF THE CHURCH! It is why they are exempt from taxes and exempt from many other laws that secular businesses must observe.

Trying to conflate religious institutions with secular businesses is just wrong.

The Obamacare provision requiring ALL insurers to offer contraceptive services in ALL policies, even in those written for religious institutions, is a violation of the 1st amendment.

Avy by Boones!

#3737110 - 03/29/12 08:01 PM Re: Former Oxford academic says doctors should have the right to kill unwanted or disabled babies [Re: 1oldminer]
foobar456
Unregistered

And ALL Western religions (and many Eastern) require tithes.

No one is required to pay tithes or donations..that is between the individual and the Lord.

Looks like you are saying boggie is wrong, and agreeing with me. Maybe the end of the world really is near? ahhh

#3737114 - 03/29/12 08:04 PM Re: Former Oxford academic says doctors should have the right to kill unwanted or disabled babies [Re: dblboggie]
foobar456
Unregistered

The Obamacare provision requiring ALL insurers to offer contraceptive services in ALL policies, even in those written for religious institutions, is a violation of the 1st amendment.

The law exempts churches. It does not exempt businesses like hospitals, schools, etc. which are run by churches.

#3737168 - 03/29/12 08:56 PM Re: Former Oxford academic says doctors should have the right to kill unwanted or disabled babies [Re: ]
1oldminer Offline
Permanent Resident

Loc: Stopping the Juubi's revival
And ALL Western religions (and many Eastern) require tithes.

No one is required to pay tithes or donations..that is between the individual and the Lord.

Looks like you are saying boggie is wrong, and agreeing with me. Maybe the end of the world really is near? ahhh

No...that is not quite what dbl said...

While it is true it is a commandment from God to pay tithing but no church member as far as I know in the LDS church is forced to pay tithing just as the rest of the commandments as well as ordinances..to be honest I don't know if that exactly applies to other denominations...LDS members are not forced to do anything they do not want to do and that includes going on missions..we still have our agency.

Obedience to the commandments is always our choice and our willingness to keep them and that includes paying a full tithing when members keep the commandments they recieve blessings. If they don't then they don't recieve blessings.

#3737177 - 03/29/12 09:03 PM Re: Former Oxford academic says doctors should have the right to kill unwanted or disabled babies [Re: 1oldminer]
foobar456
Unregistered

So... still agreeing with me.

Page 13 of 16 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 >

Check out Polls on LockerDome
Advertisement